Tessa's Rich Fruitcake RecipeNow you can make your own New Zealand style fruit cake with this delicious recipe for fruitcake from Gourmet Baker Tessa Clement of Sweet Expectations, Auckland.
Recipe for Tessa's Rich Christmas FruitcakeWe've been fortunate to be allowed to share Tessa Clement's deliciously rich recipe for fruit cake. Tessa is a gourmet baker of retail and wholesale muffins, cupcakes, cakes, biscuits and other hand made baked goods.
- 225 grams butter
- 175 grams cherries
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 225 grams brown sugar
- 1 tsp each of vanilla and almond extract
- 1 tbsp golden syrup or molasses
- 2 tsps mixed spice
- 50 grams self raising flour
- 225 grams currants
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 350 grams all purpose flour
- 225 grams each of pitted dates, sultanas,mixed fruit, dried chopped apricots,almonds
- 1/2 cup of sherry or port or brandy
- 175 grams of candied lemon peel
- fondant and almond/marzipan icing for decorating
- sugar syrup or apricot jam melted with water and boiled for 2 mins to brush over the cake and between layers of fondant before using marzipan to seal
- soak currents in alcohol for 24 hours,
- cream butter and suger until smooth , light and pale
- add eggs one by one
- add next 5 ingrediants and mix well
- add flour and fruit and nuts alternatly stirring with wooden spoon
- place in a well lined 7inch tin
- smooth on top of cake with wet hands to keep cake flat
- bake in centre of oven at 150 degrees celcius or 334 degrees farenheit for 3 hours or just under.
- test cake in tin and leave cooling in tin till cool or for 24 hours.
Copyright © 2010 Tessa Clement of Sweet Expectations. Auckland's gourmet baker, all rights reserved.